The Post Office opened on 1 July 1847 as The Leigh and was renamed Shelford in 1854. It became a Licensed Post Office on 20 May 1994, and has since closed; the date of closure is unknown.
Shelford today still has a Recreation Reserve where the Shelford Cricket Club play their home games and the Recreation Reserve have Tennis Courts as well. Shelford also has a Primary School and a Town Hall
Shelford contains a number of heritage listed sites, including: